What is the Reddit FatFIRE? Fat FIRE is a financial independence, retire early (FIRE) subreddit for wealthy individuals and families.
Verified Reddit users of FatFIRE have more than $150,000 per year of income or $1 million in assets.
The main idea of fatFIRE is to provide a safe, non-judgmental space to discuss issues, ideas, and concepts related
fatFIRE is one of the only places on the internet where it’s okay to discuss “rich people’s problems.” Just because you are a high income earner or wealthy does not mean you have all the answers.
FatFIRE is not about financial independence for obese or overweight people. The name “fat FIRE” comes from the different levels of FIRE, with “lean FIRE” at the bottom, regular FIRE in the middle, and “fat FIRE” at the top of the net worth scale.
Levels of Financial Independence:
- Coast FI – you are projected to reach FI by traditional retirement age (55-65) without contributing more money. You continue to work but can spend most of your income because your savings will grow naturally.
- Barista FI – you can quit your day job and take a lower paying or lower stress job (such as a Starbucks barista) to maintain health insurance and supplement your income from your investments
- Lean FI – 25x your annual expenses, usually less than $1 million saved to support lifestyles under $40,000 per year
- Regular FI – 25x your annual expenses, usually $1 million to $5 million in liquid assets to support a lifestyle of $40,000 to $200,000 per year.
- fat FI – 25-40x your annual expenses, usually $5 million or more in assets to support lifestyles costing $200,000 per year
Nick Maggiulli has a good summary article all about Fat FIRE.